Warning: Missing argument 2 for wpdb::prepare(), called in /home/kuwaitmusic/kuwait_music.com_BACKUP/wp-content/themes/gonzo/includes/widget_areas.php on line 154 and defined in /home/kuwaitmusic/kuwait_music.com_BACKUP/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 992
[KM Exclusive] Open Mic night at Argeela Bar : Kuwait Music : Kuwait's largest music portal

[KM Exclusive] Open Mic night at Argeela Bar

Local openmic

Published on December 31st, 2012 | by Caesar (ENGAGE)

(Note: To stop the video playing in the background, simply hover over the bottom left area of the screen and hit pause. To view it in all its glory, it the full screen button )

When KM friend and talented DJ Eisa Santoz called me up last month and told me about his friend and colleague organizing an open mic night at a sheisha bar, my immediate reaction was ..”Really?”

Rightly so, my reaction was relatively warranted because open mic nights are a rarity in Kuwait, and so it came as a questionable surprise. When I finally spoke to Alexis White, the brainchild behind the initiative, it became clear that this was taking shape quite well.

[mbYTPlayer url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cz-HO-UXCU" opacity="1" quality="default" ratio="auto" isinline="false" showcontrols="true" printurl="false" mute="false" loop="false" addraster="true"]

Off the bat, I’d like to thank Alexis for having Kuwait Music be part of the event and we look forward to supporting more of the project in upcoming events. For those of you who may not be familiar with “Open Mic” nights, it is a concept that sees amateur artists(musicians, artists, rappers, poets, comedians and others) showcase their talent in a candid and open stage fashion.

As I walked into Argeela Bar (on an inner road off the Holiday Inn Salmiya) , I was greeted by the bubbly, yet super collected Alexis and Abdulla Binnikhi (the owner of Argeela Bar)  who drove proceedings to perfection. The low profile lighting coupled with sheisha smoke set the scene for the perfect show.

I am not going to review every performance in this article because there were many, so watch the video and see for yourself!  The performers included guitarists, singers, poets, storytellers, rappers and more.

It was the perfect way to spend an evening. We sincerely hope for more of these “Open Mic ” nights as it will  surely help unearth some amazing local talent. I had a wonderful opportunity to meet new performers that night and look forward to more.

Watch performers at the Open Mic Night:

Picture Gallery:

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

About the Author

Caesar is the Founder and CEO of Kuwait Music. A passionate musician and web nerd, Caesar spends most of his time thinking about how to build a healthy music business in the region Follow Caesar at the below links: Google+

24 Responses to [KM Exclusive] Open Mic night at Argeela Bar

1. Ahmad S. Al-Hamily says:

that is just an awesome concept that should be spread around Kuwait.

2. adel al bahar says:

Amazing !! More of these events please ! I love the girl that sang maroon 5 :))

3. suniti says:

Wow ! Nice …

4. rohan dsouza says:

When did this happen ? This is so badly needed in Kuwait ..kudos to everyone behind it

5. Venus says:

Now that’s freaking awesome .. Wish they opened more places like this .. A new twist to just having sheesha .. Live entertainment .. A variety of it!
    Could you please give the exact location or contact number .. I know where I’m going this weekend ! ;)

6. Nur Soliman says:

Agree with @Ahmad and all other commenters! What a fantastic, fantastic initiative – I have *never* been in a shisha bar only because I can’t stand the smell of nargileh and it’s not my kind of dive lol, but this may well tempt me to make my first venture out and check out this amazing opportunity! :D But seriously though, I know dozens of talented kids who could totally benefit from this space to perform, fail, learn, succeed. @Caesar, do you know when they’re planning a second one, or if they have an online presence we can follow? Kudos to Alexis and the performers!! And thanks for sharing your discovery :)

• Caesar says:

yeah Nur, I was very happy and inspired myself when I heard about it happening and when KM was invited to cover it, I was elated. Alexis and Abdullah are awesome and hope they take this to the next step! It will be great for Kuwait

• Alexis says:

I don’t have an website as we just started. But I will definitely make sure everyone in this forum knows when we have the next one!!

7. jason dmello says:

great to see this in kuwait … congrats to the organizers. km, please do keep us updated!

8. faisal al dashti says:

awesome guys… when and where is the next one- I wanna go! hehehe

9. talal saif says:

the asian girl singing maroon 5 has an amazing voice! is she based in kuwait?

10. gayatri says:

thanks km for always informing us of these things.. :) love it! hope for more .. when is the next one?

11. khaled al jedei says:

this is very promising. hope for change in 2013- good luck all!

12. Ahmed Albahar says:

I wish if I was there :)

13. DJ EIsa Santoz says:

Awesome! thank you Caesar!

14. seddy 66 says:

great way to spend an evening, i must say. I hope you can let us know when the next one is happening

15. Amitabh Sengupta says:

Incredible!!!… When is the next one!!

16. Pingback: Kuwait Music : Kuwait's largest music portal |