Will the real fans of local music please stand up? Time to stop whining and begin shining!
Published on July 1st, 2011 | by Caesar (Kuwait Music)
By Caesar Fernandes / Founder, Kuwait-Music.com
It’s in the air. The music is about to take over. The band is all plugged in and ready to rock , its a house full. The lead guitarist lets it rip, and the outro is outright amazing. The song is over. Out of the 200 people in the audience, 10 clap and scream. This is the reality. This is the fallacy of the music industry in Kuwait. Fans, we blame our local musicians for not writing good music, or not writing at all- But are we doing our part and supporting them?
You will reply to my question with a blatant- “But I attend their concerts and buy their merchandise dammit!” . Nice,will someone please give this fan a standing ovation? Showing support for our musicians is not about the obligatory attendance and the occasional purchase. Its about digging deep to show them allegiance, solidarity and support that no matter what happens, you are going to be by their side, and run like a mad bull ( wink wink for the post pic) at any news or developments that help them progress.
That’s what true fans-manship is all about. Our bands and DJ’s dont need your destructive criticism (They have each other for that!), but more of your availability, your time and more than just a “Like” on Facebook.
I’ve had the enormous pleasure and honor of meeting so many of our bands, DJ’s and independent artists here in Kuwait since we birthed Kuwait Music and it saddens me to a point of depression that these amazing talents aren’t being supported by music lovers in Kuwait. Is a house/chalet party, embassy concert, or some music entourage playing at a hotel lobby all you want for the music industry in Kuwait? Dont you want art and music to have a solid place in this country? Dont you want your social lives to have more options ? Then, whats stopping you?
The formula is simple. More fans for the bands = Publicity for the bands = recognition by promoters = Major sponsors and commercial entities taking notice = Greater pressure on the media to get their voices heard.
As you can see, it all starts with us. The FANS.
Here are some ways you can help our local musicians and DJ’s get the support and exposure they need :
- Like their facebook pages and participate in discussions, attend their events
- Buy tickets to their concerts, dont look for “Wasta” to get in without paying. This isnt about your connections. Its about their lives and their music.
- Participate in discussions on their websites. Book mark them and subscribe to their feeds!
- Download and install the Kuwait Music Toolbar to stay up to date on the latest about our bands and DJ’s.
- Attend their gatherings, give them ideas, buy their CD’s
- Use your contacts to talk constructively about them. Spread the word, dont just sit there and whine about how there’s no good music coming out of Kuwait.
- When they place their events on Facebook, if you cant go , tell your friends about it. Don’t ignore it.
- Burn a CD of their music and keep it in your Car’s disc changer.
- Print posters of their performances. Stick them in your room if you have to!
- Use Kuwait Music’s extensive search to find their music, updates and gigs.
So yeah, if you think there are no options for music and entertainment in Kuwait, do something about it.