A CBGB’s in Kuwait? Musician’s club it is!
Published on August 7th, 2012 | by Caesar (Kuwait Music)
Ahmad Al-Hamily and I have been thinking. After the awesome interview we had with the man himself, Monte Melnick, and his confirmation of what we’ve always wanted- i.e a musicians club in Kuwait, how realistic does it sound? We are currently working on a Kuwait Music union which has the music club as one of its objectives- and we should be getting there very fast, but for the sake of argument- what would be realistically needed to build a “live music club” so to speak?
Lets look at the areas we need to address:
- We would need a sustainable and reliable location to be able to conduct live performances and sessions on a regular basis.
- We would need to maintain some sort of governance from committed members who are willing to put in the time and effort to create schedules, plan, filter and organize meet ups.
- What kind of music would be played? Keep it open or restrict it to specific genres for the upkeep and sake of the club?
- Do we keep it non-commercial? If so how and who bares cost of logistics ? (equipment, rent, in-house munchies etc..)
- How do we go about launching the first event? Invite only, or special broadcast to interested bands?
These are some issues we can think of. Please do share if you have ideas.